You must be using a Mac that is managed by the Department of Medicine (DOM) IT staff. The computer will have a sticker with a DOM# on it. If it is not a managed computer then although you will be able to make the VPN connection, you will NOT be able to access any DOM network resources.
If you have previously been using Tunnelblick VPN, you must make sure it is not connected at the same time you run Global Protect. Make sure to disconnect Tunnelblick before trying to run Global Protect.
Installation and Connecting the Global Protect client software
- Open the Zenworks Application window via the Zenworks icon at the top of the screen
- Find and double-click the Global Protect installer icon. Icons are sorted alphabetically, left to right, and top to bottom
- After installation finished Global Protect will open automatically. If it does not click the Global Protect icon and then enter smph.vpn.wisc.edu
- Once it connects it will ask for a username and password. This is your NetID and NetID password
- Open your Duo Mobile app and look for the UW Madison NetID Login entry. You will see a six digit code there that can be typed in at the prompt. You will then be prompted for two factor authentication. You have two options here:
a) You can enter “1” to generate a Duo Push to your device
b) Open your Duo Mobile app and look for the UW Madison NetID Login entry. You will see a six digit code there that can be typed in at the prompt.
6. The Global Protect client will proceed with the connection and you will be notified when it is connected.
Logging in to the Department of Medicine Network
- Click on the desktop to make sure that Finder is selected. Click Go>Connect to server (or press Command+K)
- In the new dialog box enter smb://126.96.36.199/DOMDATA, click the “+” icon to save the address, and then click “Connect”. You will be asked to confirm that you are meaning to connect to that server, click “Yes”
(NOTE: If attempting to connect to the K drive, use instead smb://188.8.131.52/LAB_DATA)
Log in with you Department of Medicine username and password and the G drive will mount